The Renovated Gatehouse – A Source of Pride to the Friends of Mount Hop
On October 18, 2008, The Department of Recreation and Youth Services Commissioner Charles Reeves and Deputy Commissioner JudieLynn McAvinney joined other City officials and the Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery at a ceremony to celebrate the completion of the renovation of the Mount Hope Cemetery historic 1874 Gatehouse located at the north entrance to the cemetery. This building has provided a proud statement at the original entrance to the nation’s oldest municipally-owned Victorian cemetery and the final resting place of more than a third of a million of our descendants.
The stone gatehouse was originally designed by Andrew Jackson Warner, one of the most prominent upstate architects of the late 19th century. It served as the original cemetery office and is now used as the headquarters and meeting space for the Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery.
The renovation included the replacement of the slate roof and marble tile at the portico and foyer, along with other exterior and interior repairs. The project cost $313,049, including the help of a $150,000 matching grant from the New York State Environmental Protection Fund.